My good deed for the day was preventing a user from buying 5 domains in GoDaddy and instead got him to buy it in Cloudflare. Each domain in GoDaddy was 1 cent for first year and 22 thereafter vs cloudflare $10.46.
If anyone wants to see a fast website (possibly fastest in the world), check out
I spent another minute, just clicking links and I am in shock!
Me too
Copilot claims its because there is no backend and very little JS
Youtube video explaining how it is so quick.
How They Did It
The McMaster-Carr website feels incredibly fast due to a combination of clever performance optimizations. While it might appear like a simple, old-school website, thereās a lot happening behind the scenes to ensure a smooth and responsive user experience. Hereās a breakdown of the key techniques:
-
Server-Side Rendering: The website primarily relies on server-rendered HTML. This means that the server generates the complete HTML for each page before sending it to the browser. This avoids the need for client-side JavaScript to construct the page, resulting in faster initial load times.
-
Prefetching: When you hover over a link, McMaster-Carr cleverly prefetches the HTML for that page in the background. This way, if you do click the link, the content is already available, leading to almost instantaneous page transitions.
-
CDN Caching: McMaster-Carr utilizes Akamai, a CDN (Content Delivery Network) to cache its pre-rendered HTML around the world. This ensures that users can access the content from the server closest to them, reducing latency and load times.
-
Client-Side Caching (Service Workers): They also employ service workers, which act like a browser-level cache. Once a page is loaded, the service worker can intercept subsequent requests and serve the cached version, making repeat visits lightning fast.
-
Preloading Assets: The website preloads critical assets like fonts and images, instructing the browser to download them early in the loading process. This prevents delays caused by the browser having to discover and request these assets later on.
-
Critical CSS: McMaster-Carr inlines the most important CSS styles directly into the HTML, ensuring that the initial layout and styling of the page are applied immediately without waiting for external CSS files to download.
-
Optimized JavaScript Delivery: They practice intelligent JavaScript bundling, loading only the necessary JavaScript code for each specific page. This reduces the amount of JavaScript that needs to be parsed and executed, contributing to a snappier experience.
-
Fixed-Size Images and Sprites: McMaster-Carr uses fixed dimensions for images to prevent layout shifts during loading. Additionally, they utilize image sprites, combining multiple images into a single file. This reduces the number of HTTP requests, optimizing page load times.
Whenever Iām unsure if I or someone else actually has an internet connection, I always go to mcmaster.com and see if it loads.
Ping google.com or 8.8.8.8
That wonāt always work especially if thereās a router-level custom DNS, because in those cases popular DNSs are blocked to prevent bypass
I receive spam/phishing emails from time to time. I do click on them, but I always keep track of the links and run a malwarebytes scan afterwards. Is there a security problem with that?
Shouldnāt be an issue.
Most are just fake login screens that steal passwords. The site has no malware so even virus total will not flag it. Then there are also legitimate file shares but the PDF has a malicious link with a fake login page, or even downloads a file to your PC.
Awareness is already half of the solution.
Idk if this is known but this is the first and only good working non-root/lsposed (librepods) airpods for Android app Iāve seen⦠Also a nice UI and just feels well done
Thanks! Iāve been waiting for a long time for something like this
I need D-pad compatibility, but since Iām short on time, Iām going to have Claude refactor it and see how it handles it.
Some things that I see drive me crazy, one of them is that businesses use a gmail address instead of a domain and some even have a domain but the contact info is a gmail address.
There are 2 trains of thought here, 1 I can buy these domains that they use in the gmail address and make a landing page that this site is for sale, so if they ever want to buy it, you can make money.
The second option is to contact these companies and offer to set up a simple website and email address and migrate the gmail to the domain.
I looked at the āBoro Park Viewā and extracted a list of gmail addresses.
Email addresses list.
| # | Business / Description | Gmail Address |
|---|---|---|
| 1 | Decodine (5115 13 Ave, Brooklyn) | DECODINEBP@gmail.com |
| 2 | Summer Nights in BP (event, call 347-988-2923) | summernightsinbp@gmail.com |
| 3 | Compact Pumps (718-831-7634) | Compactpumps@gmail.com |
| 4 | The Bliss Box Bakery (āBaking Joy into Every Biteā) | theblissboxbakery@gmail.com |
| 5 | Whispering Cocoon (layette/personal shopping, Brooklyn, 929-884-8677) | whisperingcocoon@gmail.com |
| 6 | Ritz Cleaning NY (office/construction/move cleaning, 718-594-0054) | ritzcleaningny@gmail.com |
| 7 | Bliss Fit NY (fitness, 915 Seton Place Ave, Brooklyn, 929-489-6210) | blissfitny@gmail.com |
| 8 | Mini Menchies (43rd St & 10th Ave, 347-997-6464) | minimenchies@gmail.com |
| 9 | Pics by Raizy (photography studio for rent) | picsbyraizy@gmail.com |
| 10 | The Helpful CPA (323-859-7447, www.drs.tax) | TheHelpfulCPA@gmail.com |
| 11 | The Mango Treat (vacation villa rental, 917-382-4810) | 1752nmb@gmail.com |
| 12 | YW Floor Plans (floor plans, 347-316-8593) | ywfloorplans@gmail.com |
| 13 | Room Dividers (partitions/installations, 929-430-7551) | roomdividers11219@gmail.com |
| 14 | Azamru Tours (trip July 27āAug 6, $4,299ā$5,499) | AzamruTours@gmail.com |
| 15 | Kleinās Coaching (Mendy, $125/2hr session, 347-977-6675) | Kleinscoaching@gmail.com |
Some of them already have a domain (decodine.com) and still use a gmail address.
Either way this may be a way for someone that knows how to do it to make money.
It always bothered me, but I never thought of it as a business opportunity. Just that itās unprofessional and costs almost nothing to have. (at least advertise @yourdomain and have it forward to Gmail if thatās what they want)
Got any solution when using guacamole? Iām sure thereās an option, just never looked into it.
Well, I had to look up what guacamole is, soā¦
I never used it.
Haha alright. Itās great. Pain to set up but Iāve been using it for 2-3 years. Easy to do small tasks outside the office on any machine or network and access to all vms I input.
Yeah I know I could use anydesk or whatever but I prefer rdp on any browser.
Nomachine is nice too. Easy docker container to deploy on a domain.
I have the perfect story that happened last week that matches perfectly the xy problem https://xyproblem.info/
User calls that he wants to disable windows updates completely and asks if we can do it for him. After asking why he explains.
He has a small grocery that works through self checkout only, the computer has a lock and the pos has a lock. He gives the password to all users if needed. Many times there are updates and the computer gets locked. Now even though he gives the password to everyone, the user still needs to log in and open the los through a desktop shortcut and put in a password and some people donāt know how.
I asked him, why not just remove the computer password? If the computer reboots it will just log in automatically! I then went even further by saying that I can have a scheduled task run on user login that opens the posā¦
He loved it and I set it up, I also made the computer run updates only between 1am and 5 am.
I set up any desk unattended access to all computers so that he can log in and he was good to go.
It was just interesting where the user requests one thing and the solution is a completely different thing.
People need to provide the goal they they are trying to accomplish- whats the problem are they trying to fix. Not ask for help with the solution that they are trying.