Technology discoveries and casual discussion

I found this random site form the Mennonites and they approve eGate and Techloq.

This website lets you design a server rack (or document an existing one).

Lol, Nvidia CEO warns that AI doom talk is harming investment in AI and is very damaging.

I’m assuming that his concern has nothing to do with the company he runs.

:link: Full article

Beware of the Chinese :skull_and_crossbones:

details

A long time ago I bought some fake Jelly Pro devices with the intention of making them kosher. In the end the plans didn’t work out so I gave one to a friend and I started using them as a player.
And here the story begins:
Apparently there is a virus inside the system with some clear symptoms:

1. Can unlock the screen when it feels like it
2. Lowers my volume to 0 when it feels like it
3. In the past it would stop the song for me (nowadays it doesn’t - it just lowers it to 0, and believe me, that’s really annoying when you’re in the middle of jamming with a good song and you won’t stop in the middle of the set…)
4. Opens tabs in Chrome with tabs of advertisements (usually the same types)
5. Closes Chrome and a few other apps in the background (for example, when I hear a song, it closes the app for me but leaves the second process of the player running)
6. My friend has Facebook and the language changes there to Chinese
7. There’s a chance I forgot something
The symptoms also exist on a reset device but only work when there’s a network, apparently.
My device was rooted in the past, but no unknown app was given access (I did give Lucky Patcher access), but my friend’s was never rooted. As mentioned, these are problems that my friend and I have together. It’s not that we went to questionable websites, and as mentioned, it also exists on a reset device (via the recovery and the cache partition from there.)

Quoted from mitmachim top forum

Its the same with Acemagic PCs. Always do a clean wipe before using

Some government websites don’t load if the time is off on the device, I was once troubleshooting on a computer for longer than I would like to admit till I figured it out.

Year 2038 problem

I’m terrible at writing articles so I won’t try.

All I’ll say is research this. It’s cool!!

Basically the idea is that there are 32 bit ints and 64 bit ints. Most regular systems can just update like the Linux kernel which already did in 5.6 but on many systems (including mysql) timestamps use 32 bit integers. Now that’s a limited size and timestamps after Jan 19 2038 will be larger then the Max which will cause it to loop back to negative. (because ints are stored in bits where the biggest number is 0 followed by 31 1’s. If the number is larger, the first 0 is changed to 1 which translates to negative.)

so again most systems can and will or did update but older systems can have serious issues like embedded systems compiled once and never touched, chips in cars for airbags etc, maybe certain old file formats (i think ext3 and lower).

y2k was software only. Was able to be updated with much work. This is kernel level software which has to be recompiled and updated while software can probably stay the same and probably many hardware chips will have to be replaced.

Disclaimer: i researched this fast and probably made mistakes. Feel free to correct them

learn programming languages

if you already know some basic coding (for example you learned python or javascript) and you’re already familiar with basic concepts like what a variable is, a for loop, datatypes etc etc and you wanna learn a different programming language, you probably went crazy from only finding beginner level tutorials of a few hours long explaining how a variable is just like a bucket when you’re just trying to learn the syntax for this specific language. (unless i’m the only 1 with this issue.)

if that’s you, you must check out:

they have tons of languages where each language has like a 2 paragraph introduction and then a short file with all basics for the languages syntax. I came across it and thought it was absolutely amazing. I hope others can enjoy it too. It might not teach every complex part of every language but overall it really does a good job teaching the basics of the syntax assuming you already know basic concepts.

I opened an issue in the Google AI Edge Gallery repo asking them to publish it on F-Droid, to make it accessible to more people:

Would the app be app be able to be published on F-Droid or Izzyondroid?

There are many people who can’t or prefer not to use Google Spy Services and the Play Store, for privacy reasons, because their device isn’t capable of running Spy Services, or because it drains device resources, and publishing it on F-Droid would make it easier for everyone to access the app.

Publishing it on other app stores would make it more accessible to more people, and would be in the spirit of Google’s focus on inclusivity, and Android’s goal of being an open platform for everyone.

You may want to look at this.

https://venturebeat.com/technology/the-creator-of-claude-code-just-revealed-his-workflow-and-developers-are

Google dorks are the best!

I am addicted to see what people make and do, take this google search for an example.

site:lovable.app "admin dashboard"

I can change the search to whatever I want, and see what people built, mostly not private but just intersting.

i’m overtired and in the mood of ranting so…

just wanted to say, i worked on that project for hours, rewriting big chunks of the c exploit and wrote all others from scratch without ai. Not trying to brag. Just trying to rip ai. I thought to myself, if i’d use ai, i got no doubt i’d still be in the middle if not yet given up after it just not working… ai is impressively good when it comes to ui or even some basic backend but when it comes to real deployments it’s a disaster. It will almost never work but even on the small chance it will, it will not be secure and will fall apart pretty fast. AI is good at ui cuz its simple. When you need actual human brains to make decisions how to do something ai just doesn’t do good. Same with c kernel stuff especially device specific stuff. Even though ai knows more info about this exploit then i do, it just Fails terribly.

@mods wasn’t sure where to put this. Feel free to move this if you feel like it.

I’m am most definitely not saying that ai is all knowing. Haha, definitely not.

But if you are having trouble deploying things I’d venture to say that you haven’t used it correctly.

Security when building with ai products is also only as good as the person prompting it.

  • from a former AI basher

Great job on the sonim stuff. Very cool

you da best.

ונהפוך הוא:

Microsoft Edge deb package for Linux tries to install Google Chrome

Some days in IT are boring, like today.

Almost every single call is about connecting laptop to computer/server at work.

Some people get Google remote desktop, some anydesk, some tailscale VPN and rdp some, get net extender or global VPN with rdp and some even got a screenconnect host pass. All depends what the case is, and what they like.

novnc :person_with_crown:

Actually saved my life. I nuked ssh and then my tailscale went down… I actually freaked out before I figured out about noVNC

Can make any link look insecure, here is an example.

https://insecure-exploit@is.gd/cmz4jI?SQL_injection.zip

https://insecure-breach-infostealer@is.gd/7dHvud?exploit.sys

as in https://insecure-breach-infostealer@is.gd/7dHvud?exploit.sys