Judge orders Google to make rival app store installs easier

Why is it a monopoly on a market they invented?

.

Android = google

I would say it’s its own ecosystem.

Not sure if that makes it its own market.

EIther way, just because you create a new platform that replaces another platform or market, doesn’t mean you can do whatever you want, or that you can say that you truly created a new market where there was nothing.

Amazon definitely created a new ecosystem.
Hard to say if they created a new market.
They definitely replaced countless brick and mortar stores.

They definitely don’t deserve to now be able to charge 30% on all transactions that previously happened in brick and mortar stores.

Also, the ecosystem surrounding Android isn’t the same thing as Android itself.

Google rightfully owns Android.

They have no right to the Android ecosystem, the same way that Brother has no ownership over the market for cartridges for their printers.

In philosophy and morals I agree to @FlipAdmin completely. Though obviously, the court case was about laws. Specifically Monopoly. A monopoly is terrible for the economy which is why it’s not allowed. That’s all! Just like @TripleU was saying about many monopolies in the Jewish market.

And just BTW, since @Dev-in-the-BM_2.0 quoted this Gemara I figured I’d comment:

That Gemara specifically is talking about competition in a case where it’s פסקת לי חיותי meaning my business will have to close down if you continue doing this (for example opening a business in the beginning of a מבוי or the רמ"א’ס example of selling a ספר with the price being a דינר less than the other store regardless of what the other store charges. In legal laws, it’s a bit different…

I don’t understand google created this market and own the platform everyone is using why cant they make their own rules nobody asked you to develop an android app its like someone makes a country and someone else is trying to tell them what laws to enforce

Which market?
a) the smartphone market
b) the non-Apple smartphone market
c) the “any device running any derivative of Android” market
d) some other market (please specify)_____________________

Debatable.

The software market already existed.

Phones that could install third party software already existed.

What did they invent?


Either way, I don’t think a person should be able to own a market, whether “they invented it” or not.

The property that a market is on (for example a mall)?

Yes.

The infrastructure that it runs on (Google Play)?

I have no problem someone owning.

But the market itself shouldn’t be privately owned.

android =google.

Do i like it, no. But they started and own it why can’t they make their own rules?

why can’t they make their own rules?

Seems simple enough. Higher laws. Most free-enterprise economies have adopted laws to protect consumers from the abuse of monopoly power.

@anonymousfliphones what is minimum wage? who tells you what to do?

this i understand exists but why is it under this category

nobody asked anyone to build apps for android and then once you do you get upset that the owners don’t want your stuff there.

its like saying i own a property and i can’t tell people not to come in

exactly and they own the property and they are telling people who could come onto it and where the door is there are plenty of other things in the software market

Please excuse my obtuseness, but I fail to see how “android =google” answers the question. I thought Android was a product of Google (the company), and how can a product can equal its maker?

Is android a market or like amazon that they could decide what goes on there?

I give up. The conversation makes less sense the further we go.

It is an operating system for mobile devices, yes?

How?

That who?

What kind of “what” goes on which “there”?

You don’t need to answer those questions. I’m sufficiently confused by the previous answers.

amazon could decide who gets to sell

meaning amazon could decide what goes on their site and who could sell on amazon. Same thing with google, google could decide which apps could install on their device